Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Story That Shouldn't Be

     As an author, there are often things that I avoid in my writing. Not necessarily because they're inappropriate or bad, just because they either lie beyond my realms of interest or I just don't feel qualified to attempt it. Which brings me to the announcement of my next to-be-published story.

   It's a ghost story, written from the perspective of a man, set in present day.

   If I was to list the top three things that I doubted I'd ever do, those would be it, and heaven help me, I did all three in one story. Honestly, I'm not even sure how this occurred. I literally found myself looking at my computer screen filled with an 11,000 word novelette that I finished in a week and going:


   Already knee-deep in one almost-finished novel and a half-done novella with dozens more story ideas taking priority, the story that is now to be known as For Elise was pretty much an anomaly in my normal writing habits. It began when I had gotten The Complete Edgar Allan Poe for my birthday, and I had settled down to read one of the stories. I was two paragraphs in, where a young man was describing a creepy house he had bought, when the entire plot for the novelette just...appeared. I immediately shut the book, got a pen and my notebook, and wrote the first ten pages right there.

   Still haven't finished reading that short story, though...sorry, Edgar. I'll get to it later.

    I don't want to give too much away about For Elise, but I'm really excited about it and hope to have a cover reveal and a synopsis to share soon! I'm kind of springing this story on you without much warning, since I hope (note: hope) to publish it late next month, but this tale sprung on me without any warning, so I guess it's only fair. ;)

Until then, you can add it on Goodreads.

5 comments:

Kelsey Carnes said...

I can't wait to read it. :) It sounds so interesting!

Cryslyn said...

Good afternoon!

Just wanted to drop in and let you know that you have been tagged for the "Awesome Food Award" here at my blog: http://bloggingcryslyn.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-awesome-food-award.html

Warmest blessings on your day :-)

bedtimebear bear said...

What books do you have lined up for publishing next after this one?

Hayden said...

Thanks, Kelsey!

Cryslyn, thank you! :)

bedtimebear, I'm really not sure! I'm torn between three stories at the moment, all of them very different, so we'll see which one comes in first. :)

Hamlette said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooh! Stories that spring into being fully formed like that are the BEST, aren't they?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...