Saturday, November 7, 2015

The Jane Austen Tag

     I actually wasn't planning on doing this tag because of school and writing (and for the first time in a long while I'm not doing NaNo this year either...that feels weird...) but I impulsively decided to do it today, even though I just did a tag a post or two ago. (Not to fear: I have several long posts coming up. Or, on second thought, maybe that is something to fear)

     Of course, I also just realized that this is actually the last day of Jane Austen week on Naomi's blog. Gee whiz. A day late and a dollar short on that one. :P

I have, therefore, made up my mind to tell you, that I do not want to dance a reel at all — and now despise me if you dare.:


1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a Jane Austen fan do you consider yourself? Well, at one time I would have said "10," but my fanaticism about Jane Austen has mellowed a bit. I still love her, of course, but I'm not rabid about it. I'd say I'm perhaps an 8?

Edmund and Fanny ~ Mansfield Park -:
BBC's Mansfield Park, aka "The movie I thought I would hate but was actually more than halfway tolerable." Or maybe just because the other version I had previously watched was just so unspeakably and horrifically inaccurate....
2. If "they" would make a new Jane Austen Movie, and you would be able to be cast in it, which Jane Austen character would you most like to play? Well, I have had the privilege of playing Mrs. Bennet in performance of P&P once, and that was hysterically fun. As far as main characters go, I think I could have a lot of fun playing Emma Woodhouse.


3. Is there any felicity in the world superior to a walk? Yes- reading.

4. Who's your favourite Jane Austen 'villain'? (As in 'villain' meaning 'the bad guy.') I'm not sure. I suppose I'll go with the crowd and say Willoughby on that one. I don't like him the way a lot of people do, though. 

5. What/Who introduced you to Jane Austen? Myself. Really! Unless you count a few historical fiction books (I don't even remember which ones) that mentioned Jane Austen. I decided I needed to read this lady, if she was as important as history was telling me. So, at the age of 12 I read Pride and Prejudice, and I can honestly say it was one of the best reading experiences I've ever had. A couple years later, friends loaned us a VHS set of the 1995 movie version, and my love of all bonnet movies began.


6. Did you love/enjoy Jane Austen immediately, or has there been a time when you hated (um, prejudged) it? I was shocked by how much I loved Pride and Prejudice, so I immediately dived in to Sense and Sensibility afterward...only to get completely lost and bored. (I was still twelve, after all). It took me another couple of years to try Austen again after that.

7. Who, in your opinion, is the funniest Jane Austen character? I do love Mr. Palmer in the movie version-- but then, it is Hugh Laurie, so that explains much. Also, Mr. Collins- including both film versions.

Pride and Prejudice Mr. Collins...bahahaha:

8. Do you quote Jane Austen randomly in public? I have before, but I'm not in the habit of it.

9. Are children allowed to eat cake on weddings? No, they should save it for the adults. Like me. (I'm kidding. Mostly.)

10. What is your reaction when you hear that an acquaintance (e.g. A lady at Church) of yours loves Jane Austen? Skepticism. Is this a real fan who has actually read more than one Jane Austen book, or some random person who's seen the '05 movie a couple of times?

Austenland
*judges you from behind my book*

11. Who writes better letters, Mr Darcy or Captain Wentworth? (If you forgot what the letters were, shame on you, instead tell me if you prefer Strawberries to Chocolate or not.) Okay...I'm actually not the hugest fan of Persuasion (and it's one JA novel that I've actually only read once) but I did remember being impressed with Captain Wentworth's letter. I should probably read that again, by the way.


12. Which Jane Austen heroine do you relate the least to? I can relate to every heroine at least a little...except for one. Marianne Dashwood. I do not understand Marianne in the least. Elinor, Elizabeth, Fanny, Emma, Catherine, Anne....there's at least one aspect or personality trait of each that I can relate to. Marianne, not so much. Honestly, her view of life and response to things is downright alien to me.

sense and sensibility:

13. What's your favourite Jane Austen house (from one of the movies)? Emma's Hartfield. It's a little big for me (my second choice would be Barton Cottage in S&S) but I really love all the interiors that you get to see in the 2009 film, and I love her house in the Gwenyth Paltrow version, as well. (which, for the record, is my favorite film version of the story, although the 2009 one is a close second)


14. What's your favourite Jane Austen dress (from one of the movies)? I love this one of Elinor's from the BBC version of Sense and Sensibility because it's defnitely something I'd probably wear if I lived in that time period, but I also love all of the outfits in BBC's Emma, as well.



15. Can you turn off lit candles with your fingers? Actually, I've never tried. The next time we have company (which is when we usually light candles) I shall attempt it.

Thank you for this tag, Naomi! And I apologize about my lateness.

8 comments:

Phoebe said...

Ahh I love reading your answers! And you're right, perhaps reading IS a little bit better than walking... maybe should I have said that too. :) Reading first and then walking. Great post!

Heidi said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your answers! I dearly love the '96 Emma, too. (In fact, it's where I went from heartily disliking to loving the story. ;D) And that pic of the P&P vhs collection is so funny. That was my mental image of the '95 for years.

And ohhh, despite not being a tremendous fan, you put up a pic of Captain Wentworth! I picked his, too. Darcy's letter is incredible and I love it, but when it comes to raw expression.... Yes, CW's takes your breath. :)

Naomi Bennet said...

Better late than never! I'm delighted to have you jump on board, Hayden! :-)

I'd love to play Emma Woodhouse too. Mrs Bennet sounds so much fun to act! I bet you had fun with that! (I remember seeing pictures on your old blog.)

I can actually relate to Marianne sometimes. I tend to get 'carried away by emotions', but not as 'badly' as Marianne does. Haha. (I do it in the Anne Shirley-way.)

Yes, you should try it! (The candle-thing.) It's really cool. :-) (Well, not literally. Hahaha.)

Thank you for doing this!

~ Naomi

Miss E said...

Lovely lovely answers! :-D I'm new to your blog so G'day!
~Evie

Maria Maggio said...

So, having been through the same Persuasion-isn't-that great thing before, I have to advise you to read the book again. I read it once, and dismissed it. Then friends kept saying it was their favorite book so I gave it another try. It is really a beautiful book! I think now it's my favorite Jane Austen book. :)

Lydia Scott said...

I had fun reading your answers! When I did the tag I almost chose Marianne's dress from that scene where you liked Elinor's! :)

Natalie said...

That version of MP isn't horrible? Really? Hm, I may have to check it out sometime.

Hee! My first viewing of P&P '95 was on that VHS puzzle-like boxed set! :D

Ha! Your answer for #10. :)

Naomi Bennet said...

I've tagged/pecked you from something on my blog! Feel free to do it, and feel free to ignore. :-)

http://naomiblog15.blogspot.be/2015/11/memory-nest-tag-aka-really-adorable-tag.html

~ Naomi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...