Monday, February 22, 2016

The Hymn Enthusiast

     When I was a kid, I thought hymns were stuffy and boring, difficult to understand and somewhat pretentious. I cringe over that sentiment now, because I’ve come to truly appreciate the beauty of hymns and their deep, profound meaning. Often, I find that modern worship music and contemporary Christian songs pale in comparison to the emotion and doctrine found in old hymns and spirituals. (Not that there aren’t modern worship songs that I like, I just find myself in general preferring hymns)

     My favorite, favorite hymn is “Be Thou My Vison.” This is what I want played at my wedding, my funeral, and any and every event in between.


     And while it usually frustrates me when modern worship leaders “update” hymns, I actually don’t mind this version done by Rend Collective Experiment. Would I like the original words a bit more intact? Yes. But while I love the softly elegant and reverent style that’s normally used for this hymn, I also really like this upbeat, folksy version.


     My second favorite hymn is actually a modern one—Keith and Kristyn Getty’s “In Christ Alone.”


    "It Is Well With My Soul" is another favorite.


 I also love "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring,” “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” “I’ll Fly Away,” “The Old Rugged Cross,” “Victory in Jesus,” Just As I Am,” “Bringing in the Sheaves,” “A Mighty Fortress is Our God,” and “How Great Thou Art.”

     And despite the fact that “Amazing Grace” has become the default hymn that’s now overused to the point where it’s almost lost its meaning, the words themselves are beautiful.

     So, yep. This was basically a hymns appreciation post. Now it's back to school for me.

5 comments:

Rebekah Blauch said...

I love hymns so much!! All of these are favorites of mine as well!

Jenelle Leanne said...

Hymns are awesome! I love the Getty's

One of my favorites not listed in your post is "Blessed be the Tie that Binds." Such beautiful lyrics. My sister also created a new melody for the hymn "Till the Storm Passes Over" and that's another favorite of mine.

Lois Johnson said...

Be Thou My Vision is my favorite hymn as well and I love this modern version so much! As a rule though, like you, I HATE modernized version of hymns. So many of your favorites are mine too. I love In Christ Alone! Have you heard How Deep the Father's Love for us? That's another modern hymn favorite of mine.

OldFashionGirl said...

There IS a profound depth in Hymns! So true! Fernando Ortega has produced such beautiful hymns, they are almost haunting how he sings them. Bless you!

Savannah Perran said...

I love hymns! A few of my favorites (that aren't on your list) are 'Where the Soul Never Dies', 'Sing And Be Happy', 'This World Is Not My home', 'A Mansion, Robe, And Crown' ... many, many others :D.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...