Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Beautiful Books: For Elise

 :      So...I found this post lost in my drafts. I'm pretty sure it's a least nine months old, but hey: If you're curious about my story For Elise, then you might find this interesting. :)

And now, the months-old post...

     I've done the Beautiful People tag before, and now we have a new variation: Beautiful Books! I'm very excited about this, and though I believe Beautiful Books is really supposed to be for works-in-progress, since I *was* pretty vague with the synopsis of For Elise, I'd thought I'd use this opportunity to give you a few more details. But not too much...after all, it's not a very long story, and I don't want to give too much away.

1. How did you come up with the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
I already went over this in a previous post, but for the short version of the story, the idea for this tale hit me upside the head while I was reading a bit of Edgar Allan Poe. (At the original time of writing this post, I'd come up with the story less than a month before. All in all, it took me about four months from the first spark of Elise's idea to its publication- by far the shortest span of time for anything I've ever written.)

2. Why are you excited to write this novel?
I was excited because it was nothing like I'd done before--and the words were flowing out faster than I could manage. That's such a rare, wonderful feeling.

3. What is your novel about, and what is the title?
The title is For Elise, and it's about a young author who gets a little more than he bargained for when he buys a so-called "haunted" house.

4. Sum up your characters in one word each. (Feel free to add pictures!)
 : Ah, my "author." Melodramatic would probably be a good way to describe him. While I was writing, I knew his personality so well, but I never actually thought much about what he looked like. His appearance is never described, and in a way I'm glad, because the reader can imagine him anyway they like. However, I did find this picture awhile ago by accident, and it does remind me of him.

5. Which character(s) do you think will be your favourite to write? Tell us about them! Oh, he was definitely my favorite, because he's oddly like me in some respects...and I might use him at times to subtly (or not so subtly?) make fun of myself.

6. What is your protagonist’s goal, and what stands in the way? My protagonist's goal is to become a famous, tragically misunderstood writer whose work is taught in college classes for years to come. No, he's not ambitious or arrogant at all.

What stands in his way? Writer's block...and something else...*scurries back into the shadows with my secrets*

7. Where is your novel set? (Show us pictures if you have them!) Modern day, in a lovely old Victorian-era mansion that's seen a bit of decay over the years- although he does fix it up somewhat.

Beautiful white home with gothic architectural details. Love the lancet windows!: 8. What is the most important relationship your character has? You'll have to read the story to find that out...

9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? Again, not telling.

10. What themes are in your book? How do you want your readers to feel when the story is over? Hmmm. It's funny that I know what I want the readers to feel, but I can't describe it. (Maybe I'm not as talented a writer as I think I am, haha) But I have had people tell me that it's a story that's made them laugh and cry, so if that happens to my readers, I shall be satisfied. In fact, that idea of the juxtaposition of sorrow and joy in life is perhaps the most prominent theme in the story itself.

NaNoWriMo BONUS: Tell us your 3 best pieces of advice for others trying to write a book in a month. Don't eat, sleep, or see people, Just lock yourself in your room and refuse to emerge until the work is done.


Okay, maybe that's not the best advice...

(Anyway, For Elise is now published. You can buy it here)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I want to read this so much! It's definitely on my "to-buy" list. :)
(Your secrecy concerning the plot may or may not have made me want to read it even more.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...