Friday, December 30, 2016

2016 in Writing

     Though my reading life hasn’t suffered as much during the school year as I thought it would, my writing life certainly has. (I think it’s because I’m already doing so much writing for class that when I come home I just want to do something that doesn’t involve thinking. So I basically just watch TV or find a fluffy novel.)

     BUT…I did accomplish some things!

Image result for yay for me gif

     Most majorly, I wrote and published With Blossoms Gold. I had written the first 3 ½ chapters about four five years ago, but other than that I pretty much started from scratch with it this year. (And I ended up extensively revising those chapters—I think only two scenes really got salvaged and used in the final copy.) At any rate, I’m planning to publish this one as a stand-alone in paperback form this spring. And of course, you can buy it right now as part of the Once e-book box set here.

     I didn’t finish January Snow, but I’m hoping to get to it this spring. I have been having a lot of trouble with that one and some frustrating character issues, plus I’ve also been getting a bit discouraged with it because my take on the Snow White story might not be quite as original as I thought it was when I began (sometimes browsing on Goodreads can be a curse. Sigh.) However, I think I’m starting to get a hold of just who these characters are, and that’s helping a lot.  

     Most recently, I just started a Little Mermaid retelling that I’m excited about. I’m already about 1/3 of the way through with the first draft. If I thought With Blossoms Gold stretched me out of my comfort zone, then this one is taking that to the next level.  Even though this one is booking along a lot faster than January Snow ever has, I still want to finish and publish that first, which means it may be a while before I tell you guys more about this one. BUT I’M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT.

Image result for excited gif

     I’ve also been working on a couple more short stories/novelettes, and wrote one or two poems that will never see the light of day.

     So I finished one thing, let two major projects languish in a closet, started one new major thing and wrote a few scribbles on the side. Not my most productive year, but I certainly wasn’t a total failure.

Fellow writers, was this year a productive one for you?

4 comments:

Olivia Fisher said...

Yaay, a paperback version of With Blossoms Gold! <3

And browsing on Goodreads... Oh, yes, what a terrible, terrible thing it can be.

Wishing you the best on January Snow and your Little Mermaid retelling! :)

~Liv
oliviakfisher.blogspot.com

OldFashionGirl said...

Congrats one what you did accomplish, I really enjoyed reading the fruits of your labors. And best of wishes on your other two stories too. Happy New Year Hayden, keep on keeping on.

Blessings,
Lexi

Hamlette said...

I'd say you accomplished a lot! I revised one story and started another, and that's really it. I'm definitely aiming to get more written in 2017!

Hayden said...

Thanks Liv and Lexi! Hamlette, once I put it down on paper it did seem like a lot, haha. I guess it doesn't feel that way for me because I worked really hard for about three months...but they rest of the year I didn't do hardly anything, so it doesn't seem like I got as much done as I could have. But you're right- I did have some accomplishments this year! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...