Saturday, February 11, 2017

The I Love Austen Week Tag



*gasp* Hayden posts twice in one day! Will wonders never cease? This is what happens when a blog party is going on, I suppose ;)

1.  Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one? 


     A book. My first experience was reading Pride and Prejudice when I was 12. I only picked it up because it was supposed to be an important classic book, even though at the time I didn't know anyone who had read it or even liked Jane Austen. Because of that, I came into the book blindly with no expectations or even a clear picture of what the book was about. Therefore, it was one of the best reading experiences I've ever had.

2.  What is your favorite Austen book? 

     Emma, followed by Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey.

3.  Favorite heroine?  Why do you like her best? 

Image result for elinor dashwood 2008

     Hmmm. I think my favorite heroine is Elinor Dashwood although, ironically, Sense and Sensibility is probably my least favorite Austen book. (I do like the story, and love the movie adaptations, but the novel itself has always been a harder one for me to get through). Elinor is certainly the Austen heroine I relate to the most, and I admire her strength of character.

4.  Favorite hero?  Why do you like him best? 

     Mr. Knightley, of course. He's just so good, with an uncommon amount of common sense. But he's not perfect or boring, and I love his sarcastic comments and sense of humor.

5.  Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work? 

     Well, I have favorite versions of each story. Well, mostly. The film adaptations for Sense and Sensibility and Emma are practically a tie, and I haven't seen the newer version of Persuasion recently enough to make a call on it. But I definitely like the newer BBC version of Mansfield Park, for all its faults, because it is just so much better than that travesty that is the 90s version. I've only seen one version of Northanger Abbey which had wonderful casting if some odd and out-of-place directing choices, and I actually enjoyed Love and Friendship, despite all the hate it's gotten.

     BUT I'm sure the real question is which P&P adaptation I prefer, and it's definitely the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle one. (I'm not quite a hater of the 2005 one, but some aspects of it do make me grit my teeth)

Image result for pride and prejudice 1995

6.  Have your Austen tastes changed over the years?  (Did you start out liking one story best, but now like another better?  Did you think she was boring at first, then changed your mind?  Etc.) 

     Actually, yes. I used to think of Pride and Prejudice as the be-all, end-all, most perfect of Austen's works; however, I've been so overexposed to it over the years I've lost my taste for it a bit. I had to read it several times, and then I was in a theatrical production of it so I know the story far, far too well. The story is still great and amazing, but I just have needed to take a break from it for a while.

7.  Do you have any cool Austen-themed things (mugs, t-shirts, etc)?  (Feel free to share photos if you want.)

     I have some very pretty Jane Austen notebooks, but sadly few Austen-themed items besides the books and some of the movies.

8.  If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her? 

     How much are your characters based on the people that you know? Which of your heroines do you relate to the most?

9.  Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads.  What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?

     Well, there's not really a Mansfield Park adaptation I'm satisfied with, so I'd choose that one.

Image result for eleanor tomlinson death comes to pemberleyImage result for tom hiddleston jane austen regrets

Fanny Price- I was throwing around the idea of Eleanor Tomlinson, only to find that that's who Natalie chose, too! :D I also thought of Kimberly Nixon, who played Sophy in Cranford, as an option as well.

Edmund Bertram- Tom Hiddleston (just because if anyone could make me *truly* like Edmund...wouldn't it be him?)

Henry Crawford- maybe James McAvoy? If only because his role in Becoming Jane seemed a little Henry Crawford-ish to me at times.

Mary Crawford- Michelle Dockery. Don't tell me she wouldn't be perfect for this one.

10.  Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations!

“The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.” -Northanger Abbey

“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.” -Pride and Prejudice (I quoted this just yesterday, because my mother and sister do this ALL THE TIME)

“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense.” -Pride and Prejudice

“The ladies here probably exchanged looks which meant, 'Men never know when things are dirty or not;' and the gentlemen perhaps thought each to himself, 'Women will have their little nonsense and needless cares.” -Emma

Don't forget to check out more Austen-themed goodness on Hamlette's blog here!

7 comments:

Lady Nefertankh said...

Lovey post! I especially love the list of favorite quotes! I think they show how despite the fact Jane Austen wrote over 200 years ago, her work is timeless!

Of all the novels, I think Mansfield Park is the one in need of a truly GOOD adaptation!

Madeline Osigian said...

Oh, this describes my P&P feelings exactly: (I'm not quite a hater of the 2005 one, but some aspects of it do make me grit my teeth)

I actually saw movies before reading the books for each and every story. It actually was helpful when reading the books for the first time. Great casting choices!!! ;)

Evangeline said...

This is grand!!!

Hamlette said...

If Tom Hiddleston played Edmund Bertram, you're right, I might actually dig him. Good choice!

Thanks for joining the party :-)

Natalie said...

Hee! Well, great minds think alike. Hmm, Kimberly Nixon. She may be a good choice, too! I looked her up and couldn't believe how old she is now! Not that 31 is OLD, but she's so young and sweet in Cranford.

Haha! " If anyone could make me *truly* like Edmund...wouldn't it be him?" That's a very good point. I never would have thought of Tom Hiddleston as Edmund, but now I'm curious to see that!

(Not to mention, having Sophy Hutton and William Buxton as a couple would be an interesting combination. :P)

Rissi said...

Mr. Knightley is probably (overall) my favorite Austen guy too. (I respect and appreciate how he "deals" with Emma - he makes *her* want to be better.) Although I love 'em all - or at least the good ones. :)

Skyeler said...

I love your casting for Mansfield Park! It's time for a remake of that particular novel. Besides, I really do want to like Edmund, but the actor who plays him, also plays Mr. Elton in the 2009 Emma, and I can't quite shake that image, lol. I would enjoy seeing someone I already like play his character, and I like your thinking for Henry and Mary as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...