Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Writer's Tag

books.quenalbertini: Attractive publishers cloth bindings with gilt detailing late 1840’s early 1850’s:

(I shamelessly stole this tag from Cait. Wahaha. I always knew I'd make a good thief. After all, my first movie crush at the age of five was on Aladdin's dad in Aladdin and the King of Thieves not to mention Han Solo and Robin Hood and Flynn Rider so maybe it's just fate. But then again I'm pretty sure she offered the tag to anyone who wanted it, so I guess it wasn't very scoundrel-y of me after all.)

1. WHAT GENRES, STYLES, AND TOPICS DO YOU WRITE ABOUT?

Genres:

     I can't say I'm overly fond of sticking to one genre, but generally I go historical. I can't help it. But I really like sci-fi and one day I hope to write a bunch of classic-style adventure stories in all their melodramatic, swashbuckling glory. Think Captain Blood, John Carter, or Zorro. (Or Robin Hood, of course)

Styles:

     ALWAYS past tense, except for one tiny bit in The Wulver's Rose which was (gasp!) in the present tense. I generally don't like anything else. I alternate between third person and first person depending on the book, because they can be used for such different effects. And I do love multiple, large-cast POVs.

     I also feel like I need to warn you I have the Victorian penchant for really long sentences that would make Dickens proud.

Topics:

logical and bookish ladies
moral and admirable gentlemen
lots of dancing
also sword-fighting/pistol-dueling/knife-stabbing/poison-drinking
thieves (SEE)
other aspects of Victorian crime
period-correct ideology (hey, at least I try)
fairy tales
close family (especially sibling) relationships

     I know that these are generally more surface topics and probably aren't entirely what the question is asking, but I don't see myself as a topical writer, so I didn't know any other way to answer it.

2. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING?

     I have it on good authority that I wrote "A Cat Called Love" when I was 3ish.

3. WHY DO YOU WRITE?

     I could go with something profound, but as I've gotten older I'm acutely aware of the one thing that keeps me writing: I'm in charge of my stories, and I won't mess them up. I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but I've been disappointed so many times with book and TV series that have ruined themselves, either through gross out-of-character lapses, shoe-horned-in political statements, or an inclusion of "okay" immorality. Sometimes, the culprit is just a really stupid and misguided plot. But guess what? I never have to worry about scriptwriters ruining my stories or characters in the third season! Isn't that fabulous? Other people can't mess up your favorite stories if you write them yourself!

Image result for roll safe meme


4. WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO WRITE?

     In the mid-morning after I've gotten ready for the day, which is really inconvenient since I get all of my best ideas while I'm snuggled up in bed at midnight.

5. PARTS OF WRITING YOU LOVE VS PARTS YOU HATE?

Love:

     The outlining, the planning, the naming--the time when the plot is coming together and it's beautiful.

     Writing a paragraph that flows beautifully and realizing that it's actually a piece of good writing and no, it's not just my imagination! (This is rare but it's lovely when it happens)

     Writing finis at the end and looking back with satisfaction that, first draft or not, I finished a novel!


Image result for proud of myself gif

Hate:

     Okay, do you know that feeling where you suddenly just don't like anything fictional and find it unsatisfying? I don't know if I'm describing this well, but in every story I hit a point where I just don't care about anything or anyone in it. It seems dull and lifeless and pointless, and I get depressed and in a funk and don't feel like reading any other books or watching any other movies, either. It's terrible while it lasts (which thankfully isn't for long) but it generally happens at some point with (most) every book I write.

     Also, this usually happens during the first, second, third, and all other subsequent rounds of editing, so maybe that has something to do with it.

     The overwhelming and oppressive jolts of self-doubt are also a downer.

6. HOW DO YOU OVERCOME WRITERS BLOCK?

     I take a walk and watch a movie or a TV show. If chocolate is in the house, I usually sneak some of that, too. (see, thief)

Image result for stealing chocolate gif

     To be honest, writer's block is usually a sign that I've just been working too long and fried my brain-- that is, it's a clue I need to take a writing break.

7. ARE YOU WORKING ON SOMETHING AT THE MOMENT?

     "So are you writing anything right now?"

     I get that question a lot, and my answer is the same every time:

     "I'm always writing something."

8. WRITING GOALS THIS YEAR?

1. Finish January Snow and my Little Mermaid retelling (both of which are novellas)
2. Work on my poor neglected historical novel, Grande Complications (formerly titled Philippa, if you've stuck long around this blog)
3. Begin the first draft of my next piece of historical fiction, which I'm attempting to write in the style of an actual Victorian novel (what am I doing someone stop me)
4. I also want to at least attempt a classic-style adventure story, but we'll see how that goes.

     And there I end the writing tag! I know that this blog has been filled with a lot of tags, but now that school is almost over for the summer I should have more time to actually write posts! Then again, with all of those writing goals, you might be lucky if I have the time to just post a cat video.

Image result for cat gif

3 comments:

Emmaline Lucille said...

Many of your answers I identified with :D . Funny thing is I am also working on a retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID!

Your writing sounds really interesting. I have read WITH BLOSSOMS GOLD, and I enjoyed it. I love historical fiction! <3

Hamlette said...

Great tag! I miiiiiiiight borrow it.

I also write because I can control my stories. Or, rather, keep other non-fictional people from controlling them. Because, let's be honest -- the characters bopping around my subconscious rarely let me control them in any meaningful way.

Hamlette said...

Okay, I DID borrow it :-) Just posted it here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...